Making Customized Glossaries
ABBYY LS creates customized glossaries
(explanatory, multilingual, etc.) that ensure consistent
terminology and style for documents and other materials.
We all know anecdotes of corporate blunders that occur when switching from one language and culture to another.
Inconsistent terminology and cultural gaffs create unfavorable impressions that hinder business efforts and employee performance.
The only way to ensure consistent terminology and avoid embarrassing blunders is by having a solid glossary that is constantly updated and which addresses both, terminology and intangibles – status, desirability, business philosophy, beliefs, values, etc.
Customized glossaries created to meet the specific needs of your company will:
- significantly improve the quality of your translated documents;
- save time and improve compliance with corporate standards;
- save money by reducing the need for continual original translation and the discussions required to arrive at correct meanings; and
- decrease the human factor risk exposure by providing continuity in the face of changing internal staff or external vendors.
Creating a customized glossary is a three step process.
- Frequency analysis* of both, source and target texts to identify the most frequent terms and sentences.
- Editors create a uniform glossary that includes all key terms. The glossary often includes explanations of the terms, collocations and context-specific examples, as well as language units ranging from abbreviations to complete sentences and paragraphs, such as slogans, product descriptions, etc. In addition, it may include special instructions, such as using "client" instead of "customer" alongside style and syntax requirements.
- The glossary is submitted for client's approval.
Glossaries are available in a variety of formats:
- MS Word
- ABBYY Lingvo
*Frequency analysis uses source and target texts provided by the client, although the target texts may be created by our experts who actually translate the client's documents.